Alright, I’m a couple days late on updating regarding my triumphant 11 minute run (which included a minute at a stop light), but better late than never right?

Apparently it was a 1.3 mile run I completed (heck yes!) and it felt great.  No pain, no twinges in my hip, nothing.  I did however feel sick to my stomach when I looped back in front of my house.  It continued into the following day, so it was probably my lunch… though I’m sure running an 8 minute mile pace after not doing anything running for 5 weeks didn’t help at all.

I haven’t run since, but I think I’ll get up and try for an easy 5k tomorrow.  How exciting is this?

My first race back will be the 10k on August 24th.  I’m confident I can get myself back up to speed injury free by that time.  I’ll probably pass on the fleet feet 15k I wanted to run on Labor Day — too much, too fast is a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of recipes for disaster… fitting in my runs when I’m teaching after work Monday – Wednesday is one.  After reading about Michele and her journey to Ironman while being a full-time Mom, I surely can find a way to fit in my runs for a half or full marathon.  Then there’s Dorothy who kicks ass every morning, too.  Every time I see her 5am runs, I’m jealous.  I want to do that.

And I’m going to have to do that if I want to get running in Monday – Wednesday.  There’s no way I can get quality running in between 430-530 before jetting off to teach at 630.  Not to mention, that’s begging for another injury.  Thankfully, I think I came to a solution.  Running in the dark of winter at 5am in the city really isn’t high on my “Smart Things to Do List” and the gym I teach at doesn’t open until 6am (unless I want to travel 30 minutes to the 5am location, yuck!)

My job has a bit of a flex schedule in that they’d prefer us to work 8-5, but I work at 7 due to somewhat time sensitive things I do (mail — exciting!) Tuesdays and Wednesdays are low volume where if I came in at 8am, they aren’t going to miss me and I know they’d love to have somebody else staying until 5 anyways.  Obviously I still have to run it by my boss but I did on a whim a couple of months ago and he was all for it.  This means exciting things!  I still wake up at the same time I would as if I had to be in at 7, I’ll go to the gym around 615, do my thing, shower and head to work.  Staying until 5 also kills that awkward time I have between leaving my day job and heading off to teach.

What’s there to lose?  It’s not sleep and I’ll only be gaining fitness by pulling a Tuesday/Wednesday double workout (hour of weights Tuesday, 30 minutes weights Wednesday with 30 minutes of spin).  I’m really excited at the idea!  I’m glad I can have my cake and eat it, too.

I’m also glad that I had my 2nd ever subbing gig today.  It was an hour spin class this time (I did 30 minutes last time).  It went so well.  I did have 2 newbies come in about 2 minutes after class started and I had to rush over to get them set up, but I couldn’t really just hold up class.  They left after 5 minutes, but I did my best.  I feel bad but how can you come to a class 2 minutes late if you’ve never even done it before?  The class worked really hard and I got feedback (lots of woo’s and singing to Bohemian Rhapsody — score!) it felt pretty awesome.  I had a couple people come up after class and ask when I started and if I was teaching any other classes.  It was an ego boost, for sure.

I can’t wait to build up my own class and get people who come to see me.


Published by


Just a 20-something homegrown Buffalo sports loving, distance running, gin drinking kind of girl.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s